Biuletyn EU Welcome - lipiec 2008 część 2.

Wiadomości od Dave'a Adcock'a ...czyli co sie dzieje w Soton

Moderator: machinogodzilla

ODPOWIEDZ
Wujek Kazek

ndz lip 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi
I had an encouraging response regarding the photo exhibition of pictures of Southampton. Thanks for that. We will have a meeting on Wednesday 6 August at 7pm at Cukiernenke in Bedford Place to begin the planning and to talk about ideas. All are welcome if you can come along.
Below is news of other events that are happening
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1) Our next Advice Evening takes place on Friday 18 July from 6pm to 8pm We help people fill in forms, create a CV, and give information on benefits, work and housing issues plus anything else that is on your mind, and now we co-operate with the Polish* Psychologists' Club to be able to help people going through stressful times. So come along to George Williams House, YMCA Building ,Cranbury Place SO14 0LG (near London Road and Inner Avenue )

2) TARGET ACCOUNTING 488 PORTSWOOD RD SO17 3SP IS HOSTING AN EVENING EACH MONTH WITH LLOYDS/TSB BANK. THE NEXT ONE IS TUESDAY 29 JULY FROM 7-9PM. IT'S A CHANCE TO OPEN ACCOUNTS AND RECEIVE BANKING ADVICE WITH POLISH INTERPRETERS. THEY ALSO CAN GIVE TAX / FINANCIAL ADVISE, AND PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE ACCOUNTS WITH LLOYDS CAN COME AND TALK TO POLISH STAFF ABOUT ANY QUERIES THEY MAY HAVE. CONTACT PAWEL ON 02380 555940 OR PAWEL@TARGETACCOUNTING.CO.UK

3) WALKS! EU WELCOME IS ORGANISING TWO MORE GUIDED WALKS EXPLORING SOUTHAMPTON'S HISTORY.
THESE WILL TAKE PLACE ON FRIDAY 8 AUGUST AT 7PM AND SUNDAY 17 AUGUST AT 2PM (THIS WALK WILL HAVE POLISH* TRANSLATION) LEAVING FROM THE BARGATE. COME AND FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE CITY AND EVEN EXPLORE SOME OF THE UNDERGROUND MEDIEVAL VAULTS (CELLARS.) THESE WALKS HAVE BEEN ORGANISED IN ASSOCIATION WITH WARNER GOODMAN SOLICITORS

4) FED UP WITH YOUR BORING JOB? HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED DOING A DEGREE IN ENGLAND? MAYEB YOU FEEL IT WOULD BE TOO DIFFICULT, TOO EXPENSIVE OR YOUR ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. DON'T GIVE UP! COME TO SOLENT UNIVERSITY OPEN EVENING FOR EU STUDENTS ON WEDNESDAY 13 AUGUST FROM 6PM TO 8PM. CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS.

5) WEDNESDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 'LET'S TALK ABOUT..' INFORMAL CAFÉ CHAT! 7.00PM AT 'SWEET TOOTH CUKIERENKA' 22 BEDFORD PLACE SO15 2BD. A CHANCE TO CHAT, PRACTISE YOUR ENGLISH, DRINK GOOD COFFEE, EAT CAKES AND MEET NEW PEOPLE. THIS IS FOR PEOPLE FROM ALL E.U. COUNTRIES. COME ALONG TO FIND OUT MORE. WE'D LIKE TO THANK ERIC ROBINSON SOLICITORS WHO NOW SPONSOR THIS EVENT

6) The Parent and Children's group at St Boniface Church, Shirley High Street happens each Tuesday morning. If you have children under 5, or know people who have, it is a great place to come. It runs from 10am, and is open to all Eastern European families. We will be running this throughout the Summer!

7) On Thursday 25 September we are invited to the Magistrates Court to see how British justice works! It will be from 9.45am till about 1.30pm with a free lunch prvided. More details later

* We have translation into Polish available at all of our meetings, but will always try to offer translation into other languages. Let us know if this is needed

Other News!

Southampton City Library is looking for more books in European languages. If you have any books in reasonable condition that you don't want, let me know, or take them down to Central Library

I'M NOT POLISH!!!!!!!!! Fed up with everyone thinking you are Polish? Sara Cotton is doing some research for us about the needs of people who are here from OTHER countries of the EU. For more details contact her on sara_euwelcome@yahoo.co.uk

HSBC Bank kindly sponsors our 'Survival guide.' To help Polish people survive they now have a Polish advisor available in their High Street Branch, Southampton. If you want to open an account, or find out any information you can ask for Agnieszka
Dylan Theodore is working on a project to provide materials for schools, about what it is like to be a EU migrant in Hampshire. He is looking to use peoples' stories. If you would like to offer some help or would like more details you can contact Dylan on dylantheodore1@yahoo.co.uk

Volunteer helpline workers
Southampton Women’s Aid is currently looking for women to be involved in our volunteer helpline project.
You will be answering the phone and providing a supportive, listening service to women facing domestic violence. You will be providing them with information about their options and, if appropriate, referring them onto
refuge and outreach services. We value our volunteers and can offer you excellent training, support and
a warm welcome to our team. Although, we will be prioritising applications from women who have used a
domestic violence service in the past, we will consider all applications. For further information and/or to request an application pack, please contact Alice Webb on 023 8033 8881or mail alice.webb@southamptonwomensaid.org.uk by 22 August 2008

At 'Let's Talk About' we heard about the work of Victim Support. They too are looking for volunteers. Contact jo.black@victimsupport.org.uk

Jestem studentką (MA Transnational Studies) Antropologii na Universytecie w Southampton i piszę pracę dyplomowa na temat doświadczeń Polek za granicą. Poszukuję interesujących kobiet, które miałyby ochotę podzielić się swoimi opiniami na temat życia w Southampton.. Moim celem jest obalenie stereotypów i uświadomienie, w szczególności społeczeństwa brytyjskiego, o naszej sytuacji. Jeśli masz chwilkę i chciałabyś dołaczyć się do projektu, skontaktuj sie ze mną pod adresem pat203@soton.ac.uk.
W planach mam także publikację tej pracy, w której masz szansę na uwiecznienie swoich spostrzeżeń i doświadczeń.
Dziękuję z góry i życzę powodzenia
Paulina Tomasik

Speak Polish and English? Looking for a new challenge. Click on this link, and maybe you could work for one of Southampton's top legal firms. http://www.ericrobinson.co.uk/CurrentVacancies.htm

Poles Apart Ltd jest nowym panelem internetowym stworzonym dla celow badania opinii spolecznej. Dyrektorzy firmy rekrutuja czlonkow panelu, ktorzy moga pochodzic z roznych sciezek zyciowych, ale musza byc polskiego pochodzenia i mieszkac w UK .
Poles Apart Ltd proponuje ciekawa metode spedzenia wolnego czasu, odpowiadajac na badania internetowe oraz uczeszczajac na rozmowy, za ktore placimy od £2-£50 zaleznie od lokalizacji i dlugosci rozmowy. Wszystkie odpowiedzi sa anonimowe, chcemy jedynie wiedziec, co Polacy mysla o pewnych produktach na rynku oraz jakie sa ich opinie na temat niektorych zdarzen politycznych i spolecznych. Mowimy po polsku.
Dolacz sie do nas! Dlaczego nie zarabiac pieniedzy, wyrazajac swoje opinie? Przeslij swoje zapytanie badz zgloszenie na: PanelManager@polesapartonline.com

Next polish radio programmes on Unity 101. The music show is on 20 July from 6pm to 8pm.

Opportunites to improve your English!

a) Language Work is offering FREE classes every Wednesday afternoon. We will be practising reading, writing, conversation and pronunciation and much more! We have other classes at different times and days from only £5 per week. If you are interested please phone or txt 07922 626024 or email info@languagework.co.uk. But hurry, classes are filling up fast!
Also take a look at our website http://www.languagework.co.uk for exciting social activities coming up, everyone welcome.......come along have fun, meet people and practise your English.

b) English lessons taught by TEFL trained teacher with 7 years experience teaching abroad and 4 years teaching in UK .
Group lessons available. All types of courses to choose from including:
- Conversational English- Business English- Exam courses- Grammar lessons- Beginners
Times on offer are from 5.00 pm - 7.00 pm Mondays - Thursdays
Please contact Stephen Capon on 01489 550 550 between Monday and Friday, after 5pm

c) Waterfront Church is starting an English language class in September at the Warren Centre,
Chestnut road, Shirley Warren so16 6AY. The course will cost £10 for the term
and will be on Tuesdays from 9.30-11.30 and will be for any ability. For more details contact 02380333747 tesol@waterfront.org.uk

d)At Totton College, ESOL classes (English for Speakers of Other Languages) start on 8th September, but you can join daytime or evening classes at any time. You can join small, friendly groups from Beginners to Advanced levels, with University of Cambridge qualifications. Before you start, come and meet me for an interview at Junction Road Skills Centre in Totton. Call 023 80 874 874 extension 520 to arrange an apppointment oremail cbarber@totton.ac.uk. Interviews will be at the beginning of September.

Click on http://www.euwelcome.org for more details about EU Welcome

If you have any ideas about what EU Welcome could do for you, please contact us
Dave 07786 392886 euwelcome@yahoo.co.uk or Anna 07928 362088 anna_euwelcome@yahoo.co.uk

For more info in Polish see http://www.sotland.pl or in simple English http://www.stonnewcomm.org.uk.

Best wishes

Dave and Anna

Please note. We advertise services on here free of charge. It doesn't mean we can personally recommend the services or businesses involved. Be wise!
ODPOWIEDZ